Ensure candles are placed in a suitable holder.
Candles should never be left unattended, especially on a combustible surface.
Keep matches/lighters/other ignition sources out of reach of children.
Ensure generators are only operated in well ventilated areas to avoid carbon monoxide/dioxide vapours causing a toxic inhalation risk.
Generators do not have earth leakage protection like that installed on the electrical distribution board in buildings. Generator electricity is unlikely to trip should one get an electric shock, so suffering a severe electric shock can result in an electrocution fatality.
Place an inverter in a well aerated area to prevent the battery overheating.
Install the inverter and the battery on a flat surface.
The battery terminals have to be tightened while the inverter is in use and even before use.
Connect the battery cables in the right direction.
Only use an accredited installer for generators and inverters.
Always ventilate the room to prevent a build-up of carbon monoxide in the home.
Gas cylinders should be kept at least one metre away from any sources of heat.
Store gas cylinders in a cool, dry place when not in use.
Cylinders should be stored upright.
Only allow an accredited agent to install gas cylinders for fitted appliances.
Ignite the ignition source (match, lighter) before opening the gas flow.
People often spend more time getting alternative power sources into their home or business than on mitigating the risk of running these. Systems that are not installed properly, safely and legally are an outright threat to life and property.
Households and businesses must take fire prevention very seriously. This starts with the basics, like smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, an evacuation plan and being able to get the help you need as fast as possible in an emergency.