Article by Hollard – Dec 2022
In response to the rising vehicle theft cases seen both locally and globally, Toyota South Africa have developed upgrades to the vehicle security system on certain key models. These upgrades are deemed to have a significant impact in the reduction of vehicle theft cases.
The upgrades will be applicable to certain models in the Toyota range. These upgrades can be conducted by any authorised Toyota Dealer at no cost to the customer. The relevant technical instructions have been communicated to the Toyota Dealer network. Toyota dealers will be ready to start the upgrades from Monday 5 December 2022.
All applicable new vehicles sold from this date onwards will be delivered with the upgrade included. All applicable vehicles in operation will automatically be upgraded when presented for routine service and maintenance. Alternatively, customers can make arrangements with their nearest Toyota Dealer to have the upgrade performed at no cost to the customer.
|Applicable Models||Variant||Applicable||Upgrade Start Date|
|Hilux(Models with Smart Entry system)||Legend||2019 – 2022||5 December 2022|
|Fortuner||All models||2016 – 2022||5 December 2022|
|Land Cruiser Prado||VX and VXL||2017 – 2022||5 December 2022|
|Lexus||LX 450/570||9 December 2022|
Prevention of “Relay Attacks”
All vehicle brands equipped with a Keyless Entry system are vulnerable to a mode of theft referred to as a “Relay Attack”. This is where high tech equipment is utilised to amplify and remotely transmit the key code to the parked vehicle.
Toyota vehicles with Smart Entry have an inherent feature to prevent a “Relay Attack” from being executed. This feature can be activated by the customer as follows:
· With all doors shut, press the “Lock” button on the remote.
· Immediately press the “Lock” button on the remote for the second time and hold it depressed.
· Whilst holding the “Lock” button depressed, simultaneously press the “Unlock” button on the remote twice.
· The keyless entry system will be temporarily disabled.
· Confirm that the feature is set by either operating the driver door handle/’’Unlock’’ button on the door handle as applicable. The vehicle should not unlock.
· To unlock the vehicle press, the “Unlock” button on the remote. This reactivates the keyless entry function.
· The above procedure must be followed each time the keyless entry system is required to be disabled.
· Consult your Toyota Dealer should you require further clarity on the use of this feature.
In relation to the above it is recommended that customers take additional measures to reduce the risk of vehicle theft. Aftermarket devices such as steering locks, gear locks and additional aftermarket immobilisers will be effective. Installation of these devices will not void the vehicles warranty, provided the installation is undertaken by an insurance approved installer.
For installation guidance, Toyota strongly recommends that only the Toyota Earth Taps and power source of sufficient current carrying capacity are used and avoid connecting to the Control Area Network.
With the holiday season around the corner, Hollard will not be making this a requirement for theft cover for now, as many clients won’t be able to take their car to a Toyota dealership during this time of year. We do, however, encourage clients to go and get the upgrades as soon as they can, and we will let you know in the new year if this becomes a further requirement for theft cover.